02 April 2010

Whatever Happened To Quoting Shakespeare?

When we were kids, my husband started quoting Monty Python.  Along the way he has added to his repertoire with many other quotes but they were never anything that could be considered 'high-brow'.  Having grown up in this environment, the kids seem to be continuing this dubious tradition and yesterday I got to listen to Nina and Rachel quoting lines from 'How I Met Your Mother'

Now I don't watch a whole lot of TV... in fact there are only a handful of shows like Bones, Top Gear, Myth Busters, Castle, Deadliest Catch, Leverage and Who Do You Think You Are.  And even these shows I TIVO so that I can skip the commercials and still I only watch them occassionally.  So when they started quoting something that I was sure I had never seen before, I had to ask them what it was? (and I still doubt I'll ever watch it)

So what is it with my family that they only quote bizarre dialogue?  Whatever happened to quoting poets or literature?  Even classic movies would be great but I despair of ever hearing them say anything like, "Alas, poor Uric.  I knew him well." or perhaps, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I ~ I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  I'd even settle for classic literature that had been turned into movies like, "I'm late, I'm late, I'm late for an important date.  No need to say hello goodbye, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late." or "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too!"

Sigh.  Yet another thing to ponder in my universe.  I wonder what kinds of things other families quote...

As for me?  I'm off to see the Wizard...

6 comments:

  1. Can't claim to do quotes. Dh does repeat parts of little boys fav shows to him and changes the words. This sends little boy into a fit of giggles and it goes round and round....

    It's their thing.... I really should get a movie camera and tape it... just think of the blackmail... :) Think he'll start carrying my full laundry baskets upstairs... doubtful... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an old book out there called Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare which is most excellent. I read one of the volumes (there are 2) years ago - it's the one I found in the library. I just looked it up and Alibris has listings of it being for sale for about $25...

    That book would be the best way to find Shakespeare quotes - and unless you really studied Shakespeare some of the quotes still in use today would surprise you. LOL.

    As for me - I don't quote many things because I can never remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I are big on movie quotes. But that is what we did when we were dating and newly married- we went to the movies all the time. Even now, we still are avid movie watchers.

    Lately, I have been having mini Friends and How I Met Your Mother marathons to pass the time. So around here it wouldn't be uncommon to hear me say "They don't know that we know they know we know!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We quote movies here. My 12 year old is particularly fond of quoting Napoleon Dynamite, for some reason.

    But don't despair, Lemon Stand! If you get your kids one of those rude Shakespeare quote books they'll be hooked!

    "Beg that thou may leave to hang thyself"

    "You, minion, are too saucy!"

    "Leave thy vain bibble-babble!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. We quote two movies....Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigalo (Steak? Did you say Steak?) and Drop Dead Gorgeous (Are we on cops?)....just thinking of them makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were visiting relatives recently when someone mentioned spoons.

    "Why a spoon, cousin?" I asked aloud.
    The Husband and both sons replied, "Because it would *hurt* more!"

    Apparently, we quote the Kevin Costner version of "Robin Hood".

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.