22 December 2010

Proof That Reusing Christmas Tags Is NOT Like Regifting Presents...

I have come to the conclusion that reusing Christmas tags is NOT like re-gifting presents.  Last year I was tagged with a Christmas Meme by Wiley Goes Walkabout.  For some reason, you do NOT want to tag me with any kind of Meme because I invariably do NOT end up doing them in the way they were intended.   Why this is so, I blame completely on the fact that I have been hanging out with my husband for WAY too many years.  Let's face it.  That much exposure is bound to have severe repercussions.  

Since, with the exception of one,  the many and varied meme's I have done in the past are no longer available in cyberspace for you to actually see the devastation I can wreak on a meme enjoy.  Besides, I'm on a treasure hunt at the moment (see the nightmare described below) so I don't have time at the moment to see if I have any copies saved... and believe me, YOU don't have the money you would need for the intense therapy sessions necessary for the experience you will just have to take my word on this.

Now, I said their was ONE exception and it was an exception in more ways than one.  Early in December of last year Wiley was WAY more prompt than I am about timeliness in celebrating the entire season... I really want to dislike her for that, but alas, I can only admire from a distance the organizational skills that will never be mine, Wiley Goes Walkabout tagged me with a Christmas Meme. This time I am actually starting this meme which you must admit, the timing is genius.  Nobody will be reading my blog.  I'm not tagging anyone to draw attention to the fact that this is a first for me.  Everyone will be busy with other things.  Like I said.  Genius.  It's perfect and I still get to remind myself why we celebrate Christmas... and it sure ain't about money, presents or being the most spoiled kid in the neighborhood.

This time around, instead of picking out victims friends and family because I am a an olympic underachiever in the sport of timeliness and realize it is only two and a half days until Christmas, I've decided to just dust off last year's list and add a little polish, post the links from last year and if you would like to participate, either send me a link to your Christmas List meme post or if you do not have a blog, feel free to email me with your Christmas List meme and I will happy to post it here on my blog.  

Last year's links to this meme:





1. Have you started your Christmas shopping? Christmas is a little different this year, instead of buying any presents (although there are a few exceptions to this, which shall be revealed in due course), our family agreed to take the money we would have spent and instead shared it with family members, who, like most people nowadays, are struggling with just the basics.  In the past, my husband and I have served many times on that same leaky boat with our kids.  Both of our families were there providing the bucket brigade that kept us afloat for too many more years than I even want to think about.  At the time we felt really down about it, like we would never be able to pay them back for their kindness... but in the intervening years we have learned the most important blessing you can have in life is family.  Family provides for each other emotionally, physically, financially and in so many other ways, that thanks are not necessary.  We are a FAMILY, full stop, period, end of story.  I do NOT wish any comments on this particular subject.  It is here merely to remind a few family members of their own words and actions on our behalf that said the exact same thing in the past and still, at the time we didn't understand.  We DO understand now.


Be aware that I have now used up at least a month's worth of my seriousness.  Just thought I would give you fair warning.


Our exceptions to the above are the pickles, the stockings and "The Christmas List" traditions.  Some things are just basic necessities in life. 


Like every year, I normally sew/shop the year round for gifts here and there so that I am not overwhelmed come Christmas time.  Last year I posted of the only problem I have with this method... trying to find WHERE I hid everything.  I have been tearing my house apart, LITERALLY.  Yet again, I have forgotten to create a treasure map to find all the loot.  You will notice how long it's been since I've posted.  I kid you not, I have been treasure hunting... and NOT in a happy adventure kind of way...  THREE DAYS SO FAR and nary a piece of loot has been discovered.  I told my husband that I rememberthinking, at the time of looking for a good hiding place, the place I had found was really perfect.  It was a place the kids would never think to look.  I have outsmarted myself.  I have not yet admitted defeat.  Granted it's only some of the stocking stuffers, but it's the principal of the thing.  I still have TWO AND A HALF MORE DAYS! 
 
2. Tell me about one of your special traditions.   We have some pretty special traditions.  Most from my husband's family in which there seven kids and money was tight.  So they made up for it in the most wonderful, ingenious way of throwing in a few gag gifts...
 
3. When do you put up your Tree? When the kids nagging enters the realm of audio torture...
 
4. Are you a Black Friday shopper? The only way you will ever catch me outside my house on black Friday is if I am dead and someone drags my cold, stiff corpse around.
 
5. Do you Travel at Christmas or Stay home?  If we can't afford to take a trip to Scotland then it's not worth getting off the couch, now is it? Seriously, tho', we stay at home with the kids when my husband is home and if he is gone, then it is spent with family.
 
6. What is your funniest Christmas memory?  The Christmas that my husband decided to get a level for my sister. (who is ADD and can't sit still.  If she is not taking a sawzal to a door frame to replace a door she grew bored with then she's roofing or adding another addition)  This was not just a small level... it was about 4 feet long or thereabouts.  He carefully taped off the windows and painted the rest of it a brilliant pink.  He told her when she opened it that he just wanted to remind her that she was a girl.

Meanwhile my sister had decided to get my husband a tool belt that she spray painted pink.  (I think they must have been channeling each other that Christmas!)  She told him she had wanted him to get in touch with HIS feminine side.

What makes this especially memorable is that the two of them, ON THE SAME DAY, asked me what I thought of the present they had decided on giving each other.   I had the hardest time of my life not giving either of them away.  We laughed so hard that Christmas that we were in danger of asphyxiation. 


Although, I must admit, after DECADES of putting world peace on my list, I can no longer decorate a single line on my wish list with it any more because our daughter Nina gave me it for Christmas last year... It feels really weird as it was always first on my list.
 
7. What is your favorite Christmas Movie of All time?  It's a Wonderful Life, hands down!  Then maybe Scrooged.
 
8. Do you do your own Christmas Baking, what’s your favorite treat?  Normally I bake Pumpkin Pie, Blueberry Pie, Mincemeat Pie, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie, Apple Pie, Cherry Pie.  (Not all at the same time though.  I would probably be pushing maximum density if I ate all that!) This year, however, their WILL be store bought Pumpkin Cheesecake in my refrigerator or I WILL be taking up the life of a burgler.  There truly are only two words you need to know for Christmas.  See Thanksgiving, then lather, rinse, repeat.  My shallowness concerning this should disturb me... and it does...  AFTER consuming my fair share which would be all sixteen slices of said nirvana.
 
9. Fake or Real Tree?
(To the tune of Three Blind Mice...)
Three Fake Trees...
Three Fake Trees...
See How They Shine?
See How They Shine?
They range in size from one foot to six feet
The cats love climbing on such a tall treat
Yacking up the ribbon that they love to eat
Yes, Three Fake Trees
 
10. What day does the actual panic set in to get it all done?  "...and did I panic? I think not!" (from the movie 'The Mummy')  My mother-in-law taught me that I will NOT get everything done til the kids have all grown up and left home.  So I don't worry about getting it all done.



Addendum: I MAY panic if I can't find at least MOST of my hiding places this year...  have I mentioned I can't find them yet?
 
11. Are you still wrapping presents on Christmas Eve?
 Doesn't everyone?  I think anyone that doesn't is an over-achiever!



Addendum: These kinds of people need to come to my house for dinner...  have I mentioned how much trunk space we now have?
 
12. What is your favorite family fun time at Christmas?  Laughing at all the gag gifts.  No one is left out!
 
13. What Christmas craft do you like the best? Sewing the kids pajamas, although THIS year I have deviated slightly (rubbing hands together gleefully) but I can't say any more until AFTER Christmas morning.
 
14. Christmas music? Yes or No, and if yes What is your favorite song?  My absolute favorite Christmas song is a pretty obscure song called "Take A Walk Thru Bethlehem."
 
15. When do you plan to finish all your shopping?  It's done (see above)... Now I just have to find them all... in two and a half days.

I have decided to add a few questions to this meme because I feel like a few questions were missing.  Such as:

16.  Do you know the names of ALL of Santa's Reindeer? (without googling it!)  Yes.  Sleepy, Happy, Grumpy, Bashful, Doc, Dopey and Sneezy...  Hmmm, there's something wrong with this picture...

17.  When do you take down your Christmas Tree?  Ummm.  Easter?  Doesn't everyone?  I mean you gotta make room for the Easter Baskets...

18.  Hardest person to buy for?  My husband.  He always just manages to get his Christmas list in before the deadline. He, however, missed his deadline to get his wish list in this year... So ANYTHING is fair game... Just sayin'.
 
19. Easiest person to buy for?  He or she who doesn't get their wish list in on time gets either an under-roos jock strap or thong panties....Whichever will garner the best expression for the rest of us to enjoy when said present is opened.  :o)

20.  Angel on the tree top or star?  I must admit we have a sphincter challenged Angel. (She tends to lean to one side like she's trying to delicately pass gas...)

21. Most annoying thing about this time of year?  TAPE! You either cut too much, or too little. It sticks to EVERYTHING! I always cut my fingers on the dispenser. It always runs out when you still have 3 more presents to wrap.  I *heart* gift bags!


Addendum:  Have I mentioned I only have TWO and a HALF DAYS to FIND all the hiding places? 

22.  What do you want for Christmas?  I got my wish already.  My family is all home, safe and sound for the holidays.


I MUST go treasure hunting... If I don't come up for air before Christmas morning, it's because I've run up the Pirate Flag and have told my family that this year, they get to go on a quest to find the most loot... That'll be my story and I'm sticking to it...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Im terrible with memes too. But I think you did a FABULOUS job on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was worth the wait! And if it makes you feel better, I am nowhere near as organised this year. I am still wrapping presents.. in fact I still have presents yet to find. Sigh. And I have to cook this year... so stay tuned for the stories about last minute panicked trips to the store for a baking pan, leading to a house fire and an apartment evacuation. You heard it here first.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.