21 January 2011

Questions Only Mommy Can Answer...

A long time ago I wrote a post about Questions Only Daddy Can Answer.  Today, I'm going to share some of mine over the years.

Nicole - On our first shopping trip foray for undergarments. 
"Mommy, why does a bra lift and separate?"
"I think they are trying to describe how this particular style of bra supports your breasts, but to be honest, now that you mention it, that sounds pretty uncomfortable."
Nina - an overheard conversation the daughters were having about dating boys and what was ok and what was NOT ok.  
"These are "my girls" [if I have to explain this euphemism, then you are a guy] and they are off limits!" 
I remember thinking to myself that Daddy would be relieved to hear this. 

Danielle - Sixth grade.  
"Mommy, I hate boys."
"Don't worry Danielle, they really DO eventually grow up and you'll be able to carry on an intelligent conversation." 
I can remember that Danielle still looked skeptical.

Rachel - This question came when she was about twelve, at her Aunt Kelly's house and she saw this bra commercial.  
"Mommy, what's a twenty-four hour bra and why would anyone want to wear one for that long?"
"I think the company just wanted to emphasize their bra's supportive qualities."  (I'm of French descent and Kelly is of Italian descent and we TALK with our hands.  It's an extension of our speaking abilities.  Do I really need to describe how I, unthinkingly, answered this question any further?) 
So that's about as far as I got in the answer before Kelly and I started laughing.  Rachel just rolled her eyes at us and went to go back to watching TV with the rest of our offspring.

Erin - Not too long ago, at an appointment with her pediatrician.  
"Mommy, I don't like bras!  They are nothing more than boob bond@ge." (mis-spelling is intentional, I assure you)   
The look on the doctor's face was priceless!  Then she started to laugh.  Erin was truly serious, so I took her seriously and did a lot of research on bras, why we wear them and what the alternatives were.  There are alternatives and Erin just may end up being the smartest one of us all if you are concerned about breast cancer, which is a serious concern in our family.
QOTD: "The art of never making a mistake is crucial to motherhood. To be effective and to gain the respect she needs to function, a other must have her children believe she has never engaged in sex, never made a bad decision, never caused her own mother a moment's anxiety, and was never a child." ~ Erma Bombeck

2 comments:

  1. What I never could figure out is this: if they had 24-hour bras, why did they sell them alongside 18-hour girdles?

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.