31 May 2010

Have I Got A Deal For You....

Memorial Day Weekend Sale!  Hurry, hurry, you don't want to miss the savings...
According to the Department of Defense there are approximately 3 million Military Service Members both Active Duty and Reserve serving today.  According to the Census Bureau web site there are approximately 310 million people living in the United States.  Which, if you calculate the percentages, approximately 1% of the population protects the rest of us on a daily basis.

Memorial Day was created for those who have died in our nation's service. A small remembrance of respect and appreciation for the very freedom of the ground we stand upon.  Remembrance to honor those who gave their all.  I just thought I would educate the 80% of the American population as to the real reason you get a three day weekend at this time of the year.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you truly did not know what was going on around you today and why.  And might I also suggest that you educate yourself on how to conduct yourselves when the American Flag passes by.  Maybe learn the pledge of allegiance and what it meant to Americans at one time in history.  And just for extra credit, Google 'taps' so the next time it plays you'll know what what it sounds like... and hopefully will know what to do.

Today, to honor our great nation's dead, I leave you with a letter that I learned in my history class way back in high school, long before a movie called 'Saving Private Ryan' made it popular...
Executive Mansion, Washington, November 21, 1864.
Mrs. Bixby, Boston, Massachusetts:
Dear Madam: I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.
Yours very sincerely and respectfully,
Abraham Lincoln.

13 comments:

  1. Good post, Lemon Stand! A fellow blogger posted something a few days ago about "Memorial Day Sales." I dropped him a link to this post. I know he'll like it.

    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessir, Andy - I did like it. Thanks for linking. Lemon Stand, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shared on FB and already two of my friends have reposted. Great post. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy - I hope I don't normally sound snarky but I was truly irritated and disgusted by some of the displays I witness. I know it won't change but can't help NOT saying anything. About 1% of the nation and their families are living DAILY with the fact that America is at WAR. The other 99% are either at the mall or flipping burgers and toasting marshmallows.

    Jim - Thank you. For everyone else, you can take a look at Jim's Blog, My Bossier, at http://mybossier.blogspot.com/

    Amber - Wish I had time for twitter (and my blog, and my quilting, and my genealogy and a host of other hobbies), I keep telling myself the same thing I say about the housework... It'll get done when all the kids are gone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber - I meant Facebook. See? Can't even keep all of them straight. But I do know how to text... sort of. Does that give me extra brownie points?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lemon Stand! If you call that "snarky," you are truly a genteel lady. I understand. I have one son in the Air Force, and another that is a Soldier (Medic in the Army Reserve...who could be called at any time.)

    Nope! That is the kind of thing that needs to be said, occasionally. And days like Memorial Day are just the proper "occasion."

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an excellent post. It really puts things into perspective for anyone who reads it - and with luck makes them stop to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this.! Can I steal part of it? I posted on FB last week about getting spam mail about a sale and my "patriotic duty." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Lemon Stand. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andy - thank YOU for understanding

    Christie Critters - I sure hope so. As an aside... I asked our own kids what Memorial Day was for and was horrified to learn that they didn't know. They thought it was a day that you morn anyone you've known, who've died. I now think our current generation takes for granted that the things we learned as a kid are not taught or mistakenly not talked about when such things come up in conversation.

    Marine Wife - I had missed the part about the 'patriotic sale'? After a little thought about it though, it really shouldn't surprise me.

    Meleah Rebecca - As always a ray of sunshine you always bring... Thank YOU.

    AirForceWife - Are your ears burning? (I wonder why people say that in reference to the knowledge of someone being talked about? But I digress...) You made me laugh again and my family loved some of your past posts so I had to include you in the next post! :o)

    The Mrs - Thank YOU for understanding

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, wow. just wow~ perfect, absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.