02 November 2010

The Final Punctuation Mark...


Today my father would have turned 74.  For a lot of reasons the past week has been a rough one but I remembered last night that today would have been his birthday.   

My father was a gifted artist who didn't have faith in his abilities.  Despite the fact that art was probably his greatest strength his parents did not encourage him because they were absolutely sure that he would never be able to support himself, much less a family.  He had been given a full four year scholarship to the Boston College of Art based solely on a High School art exhibit.  

If you want to succeed, capitalize on your strengths and know your own weaknesses. (and be brutally honest with yourself about just what those strengths and weaknesses are)

The legacy my Dad left to me was the knowledge that giving up is far worse than trying and failing.  I don't want to define my life by my past and what I let slip by me, but instead for what I never quit striving for.  I already know I want to be running when the sand runs out...
My Dad died one morning after an all night binge. It was sad as the final punctuation mark in a life that had so many opportunities missed.   That's not the punctuation mark I want to leave behind.

6 comments:

  1. Lemon Stand, thank you for sharing this. I know that it must be difficult, and that you miss your Daddy very much.

    So much to glean from a short post.

    The legacy my Dad left to me was the knowledge that giving up is far worse than trying and failing.

    No truer words.

    If you want to succeed, capitalize on your strengths and know your own weaknesses. (and be brutally honest with yourself about just what those strengths and weaknesses are)

    This is the great failing of my life. I have ignored my strengths...probably afraid of failing at what I am really good at...instead pursuing the safe route of doing what I'm just okay at.

    Good post. Once again, thank you for sharing your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. My thoughts and prayers will be with you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy - Choosing the safe road does NOT make you a failure but in choosing to NEVER take a chance also means that you might be missing opportunities that might bring you alive in a way you never imagined. As long as you are breathing you still have those knocks on your door and therefor still have the time to open one of them and see where that road leads you. (It must be a ZEN kind of day today. You know, kinda like a Chuck Norris day without the bad jokes...) :)

    Lee Anne - I reread my post and realized it might sound a little grim but although that was the greatest life lesson I ever learn from him? I still have a few wonderful memories tucked away in my mind too so all's good. Thank you, though, for thinking of me. I always am amazed at how you or I or anyone for that matter, can touch someone's life and effect it without ever realizing it. I hope YOU have an extra good day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey, I am sorry for your loss. But you are VERY wise in saying,


    "I don't want to define my life by my past and what I let slip by me, but instead for what I never quit striving for."

    That? Is TRULY inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is why I come to your blog. As Andy said so well, you said a lot in not too many words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meleah - That sentence actually didn't come out the way I intended but after I read it, I thought it's description was better than what I had meant to say.

    Bob - And you know I love your blog. (Although it cold use a little more pictures of the kids) :o)

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.