25 December 2009

World Peace, The Mad Hatter, And The Tribble...

For Christmas every year, I ask for world peace.; This year I got what I asked for... several of them in fact...

For those of you who have not read my post on Traditions, you might not get what this gift means immediately but it is absolutely priceless.; I unwrapped my world piece and it looked something like the picture but on the box my daughter Nina had written World Peace (Piece).; I am now the proud owner of world piece(s).; It is a Terrestrial Globe Puzzle with metallic and magnetized puzzle pieces.

In my humble opinion, it was the best of the gag gifts this year.; It was not, however, the only gift that had a lot of thought put into it.;

My husband printed up a bunch of labels that said 10/6 and we put them on the front of every present we gave to our daughter Rachel.; It drove the kids crazy trying to figure out what the 10/6 was all about. ;

Now since Rachel is such a fan of Alice In Wonderland I thought she might get it before she got to her last present.; (Which we held back); You will notice in John Tenniel's artwork, the Mad Hatter wears a hat with a piece of paper in the brim that says "In this style 10/6."; Which apparently means that the style of hat may be purchased for "ten shillings and sixpence."

In actuality, we bought her a Mad Hatter's hat from Hot Topic.; I wish I could give you a link but apparently it is not on their web site, only in their stores.; I would take a picture but at the moment, I'm exhausted! (BTW, she also listed flashlight on her Christmas List and got 8 different kinds of flashlights)

I could probably go on and on about the gag gifts but some of them only have meaning within our family and wouldn't make any sense unless I explained entire parts of our family history...; Which would take years and I'm sure nobody would really care that I was collecting dust as I sat here typing away at a tome of unintelligible gibberish.

So I will only give you one more glimpse into our family day.; Our daughter Danielle is a Trekkie (or Trekker depending on some obscure description of a Star Trek fan... please, please, please don't try to explain it to me again.; The agony of the migraines are torture!!!!)

Her father found a 'Tribble' on Thinkgeek.com.; She is in heaven and I am wondering why hitting a furry robotic creature to make it 'purr' is so amusing?; Really.; Go to the web site where it gives a description of this alien life form.; (Although instead of calming a humanoid, it makes my teenagers giggle... ok, I admit it... I giggled too... at first...)

No Christmas (for me) would be complete without watching "It's A Wonderful Life."; And so my post ends with an inscription by Clarence, George Bailey's guardian angel (second class) on the inside cover of a book...; (Tom Sawyer)

QOTD: "[In book inscription] Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends."; Character Clarence in Frank Capra's movie "It's A Wonderful Life", 1946 ;

3 comments:

  1. Christmas is fun and quirky with your family. I am glad your kids are taught to find joy and NOT be materialistic at Christmas time. They are also taught to be creative , which is the thing I love about your family's "tradition."

    Here's hoping you a great weekend with the family too.

    May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas. I hope the coming year treats you and your family well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May - I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. I was talking to my husband about a Christmas we spent in Guam where a Samoan friend of his roasted a pig on the beach for my husband's squadron. It is a wonderful memory.

    Sticks - Ditto! :)

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.