12 April 2010

New Expressions...

As usual, the conversations of our kids continue to amaze me.  The new slang for this generation seems to be as odd as I remember back in my high school days but I did have to ask about one expression in particular.  Rachel was talking to Danielle and Nina and then said, "You feel me?"  I was just about to demand that they keep their hands to themselves when I realized she was just asking them if they understood her.  Huh.  And here I thought I was about to become a referee... again.  

Maybe they are finally growing out of that stage?  Naaaahhh.  That would be too much to wish for....

Since we live in New England, there are many expressions that are regional.  Like, "wicked cool," which has absolutely nothing to do with a bad cold.  (It actually is used to describe anything that is good, exciting or wonderful.  Kind of like the word "bad" is used in some parts of the country to mean something "good".)

Having lived in southern Florida, Colorado and Mississippi, I know there are also expressions unique to those areas as well but I must admit that I am most comfortable in a place where a coke or pepsi is actually a coke or a pepsi and not just a name for any flavor of soda.  Oh, and that soda is not a tonic, pop or soda pop which in my mind makes me think of a cold remedy, something that makes a loud noise when a balloon explodes or baking soda.

Give me grinders and frappes and let me send the kids into the basement through the bulkhead for the lawn chairs so that I can ingest the aforementioned food in blissful happiness on the lawn under our 150+ year old maple tree...
QOTD: "SLANG, n. The grunt of the human hog (_Pignoramus intolerabilis_) with an audible memory. The speech of one who utters with his tongue what he thinks with his ear, and feels the pride of a creator in accomplishing the feat of a parrot. A means (under Providence) of setting up as a wit without a capital of sense." ~ Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914) American Writer, Journalist and Editor from Devil's Dictionary

3 comments:

  1. I dont understand HALF of the slang my 13 year old son uses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VW Bug - Don't ya love it when you find the PERFECT quote? That one went on my keeper list.

    Meleah - I can understand somewhat our youngest daughter's slang at 12 but the 15 year old and up? They still get me sometimes with a, "Huh?" expression.

    ReplyDelete

Contents from normal neural synapsis goes here....
Should unnatural neural synapsis occur? Take one cherry chocolate Hershey Kiss and carry on.
Should NO neural synapsis occur? Take two full strength chocolate Hershey Kisses and
try again in the morning.